Tuesday, January 6, 2009

touching the bottom

Yesterday was a bad day. (Yes...I have PMS if we must go there.) I was determined today would be better, so I promised the girls we would go swimming.

Canon was already in the water when a lifeguard approached me and asked if Elly was wearing a plastic swim diaper. Uh...no, she was wearing a disposable swim diaper. That's when I was informed of the new rule that went into effect this week...all non-potty-trained children must wear plastic swim diapers. So we couldn't swim. Seriously?! For the past three years I've used disposable swim diapers in that pool and we couldn't do it just one more day? I had to tell my kids to get out of the water after only being there for 30 seconds? Seriously?! Yes...seriously. So I started crying. Yep. Embarrassing. And as I was crying, the lifeguard informed me of another new rule...all children must be logged in and given wristbands according the their swim level. Which requires a swimming test. I found this annoying because Canon has passed several different tests. A test to go down the slide. A test to venture to the deep end. You name it...a lifeguard has demanded she be "tested." When I mentioned this, the lifeguard told me Canon will have to be tested again, but the log and wristband should prevent further testing. And though I was still crying and this was all very annoying...it made sense.

So...I dressed my wet girls, dressed myself, went back home, picked up a plastic swim diaper, went back to the pool, undressed the girls again, and we went swimming (which was quite embarrassing after all the crying). Canon took the test, which required her to jump in the deep end of the lap pool, tread water for 30 seconds and then swim the length of the pool. She breezed through it with a big smile on her face. She could have swam ten more laps. And she is the youngest person to pass the test so far. Her red wristband means that I can leave her at the pool unattended. (I won't because she is four-years-old, but I could because she's an awesome swimmer.) Yes...my girl is a total bad ass bottom (that's the terminology we use at our house) .

Which I guess means that I'm a total bottomhole. (For the record...once the girls and I swam, showered and dressed again, I found the lifeguard and apologized for being such a bottomhole. )

13 comments:

Nilsa @ SoMi Speaks said...

You are anything but a bottomhole (though I do like the term and might adopt it). We all have bad days. At least you're getting your quota out of the way today, making way for much better days to come. *hugs*

Ken said...

The word bottomhole makes me laugh uncontrollably.

And is it any surprise Canon is a great swimmer? Sorry you had to go through so much bottom droppings at the pool, though.

Heather, paperfollies.typepad.com said...

that story put a smile on my face...not because of the circumstance, but because I could so see myself doing that too! thanks for the smile!

Anonymous said...

Proving that when you touch the bottom you can come back up again.

ABOUT XIN LEI said...

I am so impressed that you went home, got the plastic diaper, and came back. True Love :). (and just for the record, I cried today too...daily catharsis girlfriend!)

Dawn said...

You crazy bottomhole! How funny are you? Sounds like an incredibly frustrating experience and I'm impressed that you had the gumption to go home and come back.

And, I'm so proud of little Canon! She's an amazing girl.

Love you.

Jenny said...

UGH! I hate crying in public. It's infuriating, which only makes the crying worse.

"Bottomhole"... I like this. Yes; I like it very much.

Ice Dust said...

I was just at the Y and didn't see any signs or anything. We didn't swim, though. Glad to read the updates, sorry it was at your expense.

lisa said...

you are a good mom. I think crying is appropriate as I probably would have thrown a temper tantrum and my potty mouth would have been banned from the pool forever. you were graceful and strong.

Smitty said...

That is a hilarious story!!

Merissa said...

You are stronger than I, my friend! I probably would have ended up going by McDonalds and then back home to stay!

And, sometime, could you lend me some advice on teaching kids to swim. Jacob is 7 and finally just last summer got his hair wet! Ugh!

Shell said...

Maybe that will be the new name of my blog. Good luck finding "rubber pants" or whatever. I looked, but never found any.

Juggling Act said...

Wow. You're a good mom. I would have been upset as well. I often cry when I get really angry. That's awesome that you've got such a good swimmer!