Saturday, January 3, 2009

the curve

For the past few months, I've been obsessed. I often go through musical addictions where I want to listen to the same songs over and over, but this is different. It goes beyond the music.

The Avett Brothers are from my hometown. And at least one of the brothers still lives here. They write songs here. Compose lyrics about here. Record them here.

My whole life I couldn't wait to get out of this town. This creative vacuum...or so I thought. I'm completely and oddly fascinated by their success. This shared small town. The same roads. The same trees. The same grocery store. The same faces. And yet...they found their creative voices. Without really leaving this place.



"Living in my hometown" officially marked off the list of "Excuses for Lack of Creativity". No worries...I have plenty more excuses on the list.

10 comments:

ABOUT XIN LEI said...

Christy, I think you're incredibly creative. As you reveal little pieces of yourself via your blog, you continue to surprise and inspire. But, I know what you mean when it comes to having excuses for lack of creativity! After taking care of little people all day, the creative juice to exert towards something new is just NOT there. Are you like me...you have all these exciting ideas in your head, but to translate them into action seems nearly impossible?! The Avett Brothers sound like a great group...thanks for sharing :).

Ken said...

I've got all kinds of excuses for lack of creativity, but they're getting old - even to me.

And the Avetts are GREAT. My sister introduced me to them, and I kind of dismissed them a bit after only hearing one song, because she has never introduced any music to me ever. I've always been the music snob/nerd of the family. BUT, I am happy to say that I very quickly fell in love with the guys. And they put on a hell of a live show.

lisa said...

that was awesome! thanks for introducing them. (although I have to say I am dismayed by the recent resurgence of so much facial hair.)

I'm glad your list is getting shorter and that you are all the more closer to realizing what a creative, inspiring, brilliant artist you are.

Melissa said...

i've had an obsessive love for the brothers avett for the last year or so myself. they make me reconsider leaving the south. i can't believe they're from your little corner of the world!

Jenny said...

We are Avett fans too. They are right up the Jenny and Wes alley for sure.

Courtney said...

They played at my bro-in-law's wedding back in the day. They went to school with Donnie's family in Mt. Pleasant. It is pretty cool they're from here. Happy New Year!

Heather said...

Christy did you get to see them when they performed in Charlotte last week?

Anonymous said...

That was awesome.

Thanks for sharing it.

Juggling Act said...

You? Not creative? Oh my. You must be your own worst critic. I think you're super talented and inspiring. Gracias for the music rec. I love new tunes.

christy said...

You people are awesome!

Heather - I wasn't able to see them at the end of December. By the time we decided to stay in town for New Year's, the concerts were sold out.
Unless they announce more concerts soon, I think we'll probably go to Dave Matthews to see them (which I'm not really thrilled about.)