Sunday, March 15, 2009

daddy daughter dance

There was a time, during the first few months of her life, when I imagined that their relationship would consist of scattered weekends together. Hundreds of miles between them. A plane ticket necessary for every meeting. Awkwardness. Exotic adventures planned in attempt to make up for the lost minutes, hours, days and weeks until their next meeting. Two completely separate lives that would occasionally intertwine. The planned divorce would have put so much emotional and physical distance between them, I wasn't sure how well they would even know each other.

But things didn't turn out that way.

They have a unique bond, those two. Special games. Inside jokes. They adore each other. And they were equally excited about their first daddy/daughter dance this weekend.

They had planned to walk home from the dance. But it was dark and raining, so I decided to offer them a ride. When I caught up to them, she and a white balloon were tucked up under the black umbrella. He was walking in the rain wearing her headband, which had become too tight for her early in the evening. I asked them if they would like a ride. And she said, no...she would rather walk home with her daddy.


13 comments:

Dawn said...

How incredibly sweet. I want to hear more about this dance we we talk next time. Andy would LOVE to do something like that with Bella.

Smitty said...

Yea, talk about the dance. That is awesome...both look so happy.

Jennifer said...

that is too cute. Sounds like they had a good time. Where is the picture of Alex in the headband??

Nilsa @ SoMi Speaks said...

I'm not even a mama, but that kind of story puts tears in my eyes. My, how far you've come. Personally and as a family!

Merissa said...

That is wonderful! And I love the sweet pictures!

Smitty said...

Alex looks more like Horace Jr than ever before in this picture. haha!! Make sure you tell him that.

Jen B said...

So sweet!

Where's that stone wall in the last picture located? Great backdrop.

Jenny said...

That's as cute as can be. I'm sure that will be a precious memory for both of them.

Amanda Ware said...

Alex, your jacket selection has really improved since the good ole camel hair coat from back in the day.

allen

Mike Leonard said...

In a world where too often we hear of daddy's that are not there and involved, it is a JOY to hear about Alex and Canon. I cried when I read this...so sweet.. Little hearts are built and lifted up on times like these. Thanks for sharing!
Love, Susan

Unknown said...

He looks like Horace Jr. because he is...and Horace Sr. is very proud of him. Great Pictures of them together.

Anonymous said...

I love these pictures!!! You can see the love in Canon eyes she has for her daddy.

jenica said...

so sweet.
my daughter has that dress too!